Conservatory Roof Joist Spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am building a 4m deep 2.2m wide conservatory with 45x145mm C16 joists on top of which I am putting on 25x1080mm Polycarb sheets, can you tell me if I need intermediate joists ? eg at 550mm centres or just noggin supports ? Any advice would be great

Sponsored Links
They will self support like that but it sounds flimsy to me, are you filling in between to walls.

Catlad not sure what you mean, are you talking about noggins between joists from side to side ? I was going to space joists at roughly 400/500 centres but wondered if I needed to use so many when the polycarbonate sheets are 1080 wide ! But still using noggins side to side spaced approx a metre apart

Moose

I'd reconsider 25mm polycarbonate sheets and go for 35 or glass, we have 35mm and lose a lot of heat thru the roofing

Sponsored Links
have you compared your materials to the cost of a lean too conservatory?

I had considered the self support system but there is a need to access a window above so in terms of supporting weight with crawl boards I think the joist option is better. The actual cost of the joists is an extra £80 if I went for the 4/500mm centres

A conservatory roof would support the weight with boards if it was the right system, for extra strength you could run a beam across underneath, halfway down, roughly £800 for the full lean too roof with poly in white upvc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back