Conservatory roof - opal or clear polycarb??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Conservatory (wooden) has been up for around 20 years (long before we moved in) and needs replacing. The bulk of the conservatory is being replaced with PVC but keeping original roof beams as the timer is still good. We'd originally thought of glass for the roof, but have since been advised that the design of the beams wouldn't be strong enough to take the weight. No problem with that, but then given a choice of clear or opal polycarbonate sheets as the replacement.

Anyone with experience of obvious advantages / disadvantages of either one? After some reading online the opal seems to offer the best heat insulation over the clear, with the sacrifice being in the level of light entering the conservatory.

Sponsored Links
I would go with opal
I replaced my own with a bronze tint when I did it

You won't notice the loss of a tiny bit of light

The colour wont make any difference in terms of heat insulation- the thickness affects that.

Clear will let in maximum light but give you no shade or privacy.
Opal will let in slightly less light and diffuse the light. That makes it much better if you are using a computer or reading in there.
If you let me know the poly thickness you are looking at I can give you some more accurate info.

don't forget to factor in the glazing bars.
my originals were aluminium on the base, and plastic capping.

Uv destroyed the seals and capping, they had bits broken off.

When I replaces the twin wall with triple wall I also fitted far better glazing bars which were all all with better rubber seals.

Sponsored Links
I usually go for clear on the roof, as it's where you get the most natural light from - which is the main reason I use the conservatory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back