Conservatory Roof - Revamp advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our conservaorty at the back of the house needs a new roof. It was added to the building (obviously) and covers an exisiting window.

Now the last ower, who claims to be in property maintenance, has built the conservatory so that the roof line intercepts the window approx 3/4 of the window height and the rest has been dressed in PVC cladding, so this can be clearly seen from inside of the house (put a blind up to hide it).

I want to remove the roof and replace with a timber, felt and shingle type roof as it will be warmer and more water tight than the one thats in place, I will have someone do the lead work etc to make it water tight etc.

Now, I plan to remove the roof, fix a piece of timber above the window height with hammer fixings, fix timbers from this ledger down to the top of the conservatory PVC frame to create the pitch, birds mouths notched out and screwed through the wood into th PVC frame (it is 3.2 meters wide, so was planning fitting the timber at 400mm apart).
Once the basic structure is up, I will fit noggins, sheet with ply wood and finish off the roof. The side (where the triangular glass panel will be removed which dictates the roof pitch) will also be removed and dress with PVC cladding.

Does this sound like the correct way to do it?

Sponsored Links
Sounds good to me but take the time to fully insulate it.

Sponsored Links
It very much depends on size/span but, before you do this, you must be satisfied that the existing glazing structure & ring beam (hopefully you have one) will support not only the increased weight of the new roof but withstand seasonal snow/wind loading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back