Conservatory Wall in Blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to put up a conservatory from a kit, and bricklaying is about the only DIY job I haven't yet tackled.
The base is an existing patio, about 1 metre concrete depth, with concrete tiles, and I have planning permission.
I plan to build the side wall in lightweight blocks - will single skin be adequate or should I go for cavity ? (The house itself is 1948 and has solid walls). The side wall abuts the neighbours, and won't show.
I guess I'll need a dampcourse - do I just spread plastic sheet and place the first course on it or is there a mortar layer first ?
And finally, is there an alternative way to fix the plastic roof sheets without hacking into the pebbledash and using flashing ?
Thanks for any advice, but don't say get a builder - pensioners can't afford builders.

Sponsored Links
See this.
Please don't take this the wrong way but from reading from your post I'm not sure how confident you are with little knowledge as you said " bricklaying is about the only DIY job I haven't yet tackled ",it's not easy unless you're experience.

I do understand you're trying to save costs but could end up paying dearly,might pay you to have a bricklayer to do the walls for you and you do the rest.

Also see this,as it might be easier for you to build a wall kits but don't know how much they are.

Masona

many thanks for your input - I wasn't aware of the factory-built walls and floor - I'll get down to Wickes to eyeball it.

The conservatory kit is due to arrive next week. I'll then be able to see exactly what I need to do - it's all a bit supposition at the moment.

Thanks again for your help

Sponsored Links
Sorry, but if your kit is arriving soon, you should have already had all the important issues sorted. Still, better late than never. Have you submitted plans for building regs approval? - Damproofng, thermal insulation etc may be an important issue.

I would advise you to use a damproof membrane for the floor, and lap this into the damp course in the new walls. Dont bridge the damp course anywhere if you can possibly help it. Make sure the wall damp course is at least 4in above outside ground level.

Are you going to use this room in the winter? I think if you are, you will want a radiator, and then make sure everything is thermally adequate (double glazing, walls roof etc).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back