Conservatory Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for some advise please.

We have a wooden conservatory approx 3m x 3m and the roof is 6" x 2" trussed with 2 hips. I have been thinking of my next project in the house seeing the kitchen is almost done.

So I have been thinking about reducing the amount of glass as its freezing in winter and far to hot in summer (its south facing). It has dwarf brick walls and the french doors are slap bang in the middle straight into the garden. I was thinking of using a wooden frame 4 x 2" or 6 x 2" with aqua board on the outside and getting it rendered on the 2 sides and putting a window in both sides to still retain as much light as possible. the roof I think will be the most costly as I would have to get some one in to do that but was thinking about light weight tiles with a velux again to allow as much light as possible.

Is this a viable option?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
what about the sides? What is the conservatory clad with? Single/double glazing hi/lo emissivity glass/ polycarbonate?. Is the floor insulated? Its a case of doing the sums to see where the investment of money brings the greatest returns. For Solar gain, you can buy solar film of Ebay, if you are neat you can put it on yourself, a mate of mine did. He did a hipped roof of about 10 X 5m for £400 about 20 years ago.
Frank

The sides are all glass with 11 year old double glazing in wood frames sat on a 20" approx dwarf wall.

Roof is currently 18mm? polycarb bronzed.

Floor I am not sure it was put in before I bought it.

Thinking the Solar Film might not make a massive difference when the temps get in excess of 50 deg in summer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back