Conservatory Windows - I need a reality check!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in need of a reality check regarding a victorian conservatory I have ordered.

I'm replacing an old conservatory for one with a glass roof. The existing conservatory frames are 1450mm (inc. cill height), with a 350mm transum drop and the supplier as priced on like-for like. I've always felt these are a little small but when I asked the guy supplying the conservatory his view he was pretty non-comittal which is fine and said I could have anything I wanted. We agreed that I would have a think about it given we were nearly 4 months off the installation date.

I've done some looking around, inc. cheekily asking a neighbour to measure their windows which seemed slightly better proportioned. It looks like the standard frame height (inc. cill) on a conservatory is 1500mm, with a 400mm drop. This is consistent with the neighbour's conservatory dimensions.

The problem is that having gone back to the supplier he is now playing hardball, saying its possibly too late to change (we are still 3 calendar months off the installation), I won't notice the difference, its going to cost a lot more, etc.

I don't want to mess him around and signed the contract at 1450mm (not that it really meant anything to me at the time) but I'm just wondering whether I should insist on a slightly higher frame and bigger drop and fork out (if he will allow it). I just think that with a 70mm Rehau frame, there is not a lot of window with a 350mm transum. Looking on the web, transums less than 400mm drop seem rare.

Does anyone have any views whether I'm worrying over nothing here?

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
I really don't understand what the problem is with your guy/supplier, if the fitting date is that far off you can bet the frames aren't even made yet, if they were then someone would be demanding payment, i'm sure there are some fabricators on here that will back me up, you don't make a frame and buy the glass in then have it stood against a wall collecting dust.

When he says 'cost a lot more'.....how/why? Its the same amount of plastic, same hinges, same locks, glass will be bigger yes but the dg unit below will be shorter :confused: In any case he said you can have what you wanted

As for the frame height, you've asked for 1450mm yet now think 1500mm would be better.......its 50mm, is it worth it?

Thanks for the reply.

Is 50 mm worth it? I dunno, I didn't specify the size and thought 1450mm was standard, with a 350mm drop. Subsequently looking on the web, it looks like 1500mm is standard, with a 400mm drop.

I just want a standard frame size and opener, looking for a view whether a 350mm drop gives a too small window in proportion to the frame.

Thanks,

Damian

Get the manufacture to supply you with drawings. He will have some as the computer software for manufacture which churns out the lengthy cutting list for all components will also do a drawing. You will then be able to see the proportions of top to bottom and the glass sight lines and see if you like it.

When I was a surveyor for several DG companies my role was to do scale drawings showing glass sight lines for exactly your type of reason. But in those day it was drawing board and ink pens. :p

Sponsored Links
I'd play hardball right back at him. Tell him he's got three options.

1) He tries to hold you to the letter of the existing contract, but that you'll be the most awkward and un-cooperative customer he's ever met and then he will have to chase you through the courts for any payment if there's even the slightest imperfection in the work. Given that you'd be testifying that he told you verbally that the sizes could easily be revised to what you actually want nearer to the installation date, and that he's now saying that they can't, then I can't see a court awarding costs against you. You'd even have the option of settling his bill right on the court steps, which would completely kill off the case but he'd still have had the expense of preparing it. That route will certainly cost him far more in time, money, inconvenience and reputation than to simply do as you are now asking.

2) He plays nicely, meets with you to discuss your new requirements, and comes up with a sensible price for the new specification.

or

3) He tears up the contract you signed and walks away. Then you can go and find yourself a company who'll do the job you want at a reasonable price - without trying to rip you off over small changes.

Ball firmly back in his court.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I guess the bottom line is whether is worth having a row for a 50mm larger and more standard window size.

Bottom line to me would be to ask yourself how much faith you can now have in a guy who breaks his own promises?

You said, "We agreed that I would have a think about it given we were nearly 4 months off the installation date." You agreed to sign the contract on that basis.

And yet only a month later, and still 3 months from the installation date, he's playing silly bu**ers.

Personally I'd give him just one opportunity to get himself back in my good books and if he didn't bend over backwards to accommodate what I wanted I'd then tell him exactly where to shove his conservatory.

It's not so much whether it's worth having a row over 50mm, more a question of whether or not you're happy to pay out all that money for a new conservatory - and sit there for the next ten years knowing that you didn't get what you wanted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back