Consider readymix for small pour

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a suggestion for DIYers to consider readymix for small pours like shed bases.

I'm doing a small pour on the driveway next week: 0.5m³ of ST2. I priced up Readymix and was rather surprised:

Readymix: £180

or

1 bulk bag ballast delivered = £40
7 bags cement delivered = £35
Mixer hire, collection, delivery = £44
Total: £120

£60 to have someone turn up and pour straight into the formwork, no shovelling, and no barrow and mixer to clean. I reckon it would save me two hours in time. Sounds worth it to me!

The readymix charge was for a minimum of 1m³ so for me, if I wanted 1m³, readymix would have been the same price as mixing it myself.

Obviously it's different if you have a transit, can pick up all the materials and don't value your time too much. I'd be struggling to fit a mixer in my car and would have to clean the car afterwards.

Is there anything else to consider and am I just becoming a lazy sod in my old age?

Sponsored Links
£180 a cube sounds pricey to start with.
however. i’d just pay it.

If you see a concrete wagon somewhere, ask the driver how much for a metre or so, as some will save you a bit from their previous load. (y)

Sponsored Links
Remember with the Readymix deal you're likely to get a cubic metre delivered so have a think about where to put the excess. The volumetric wagons are a much better setup imho, batched on site, exactly the amount you want.

i am using them for 4m3 on saturday for my footings £340. Just as cheap as mixing it yourself (nearly) and with no hard work

I just found you have to really phone round each time. The people who did me an absolute bargain for my floor slab were a bit on the pricey side for screed.

But yeah, life's too short IMHO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back