Considering going to unvented system boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just moved house, having a v powerful shower is an important factor for us.

In the old house we had a vented gravity fed system (big water tank in loft) and I installed an Aqualisa Quartz Digital pumped shower (has processor / pump in loft which fed mixed thermostatic water down a single pipe to the shower). Loved it - very powerful.

New house is on same estate with the same gravity system (with 17 year old Glow worm boiler)and the showers are just using the standard gravity system pressure. They are a dribble at best and we want to get much better flow like in the old place.

The new house is larger with 2 baths and 3 showers. I have ruled out going to a combi system.

So my options are
1. Stick with the same system and install a pumped shower as I did in the old house.
2. Change the heating system to an unvented mains fed high pressure system with tank.

We are thinking of converting the loft in the medium term so option 2 is quite attractive as we could remove the cold tank in the loft altogether rather than having to move it.

I have measured our mains pressure and flow rate at the kitchen tap:
Pressure: 4.8 Bar
Flow rate: 25+ litres/minute

So my question is, if I went with option 2, do you think I could I expect to have a shower as good/powerful as the pumped Aqualisa one I installed in the old house?

I'd hate to spend a few grand on option 2 only to still have a weak shower but with no option to install a pump.

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
An unvented cylinder is the best system if the water supply is adequate.

But although your water supply seems not too bad I would still be measuring the dynamic flow rate @ 1.0 bar !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back