Considering Nest in new build apartment

There's no need to. One simply reads the instructions and transpose the wires for the spdt relay from the Digistat.

Dan I wouldn't waste your energy with him, he's an idiot.

If it's a New Build OP & you don't get the installer or Electrician to fit your 'Nest' you'll f.ck up any warranty on your whole installation. If you have problems with your CH system they'll tell you to do one.
Advise the Google Warrior didn't give you, cause he's just that.

Sponsored Links
So I'm back in this "aesthetics" thread following my other post in the "wiring" thread.

Here's what the solution currently looks like after being temporarily being put in place with one wall screw whilst I work out what to do (a bit wonky, I know)...

uP7Cpzt.jpg

...and I now have to find a solution to hide the gap in the old wall plate...

dOEnz2G.jpg

...and also the fact that the Heat Link expects "external" wires to be fed to it parallel to the wall, whereas the existing wires are coming to it perpendicular from the wall...

qg6O7p8.jpg

Unfortunately the Heat Link's screws are ever so slightly too narrow in width to affix either side of the existing wall plate.

Does anyone have any bright ideas to clean this up and make it more aesthetically pleasing?

Drill a hole through the back of the cable recess and square it up to the hole.

You are discovering yet another reason why, despite being a keen smart controls installer, I now won't supply Nest..... It's poor quality bunkem.

But the stat looks pretty so it's all good ;)

I did consider that but figured it would hurt resale values at upgrade time/if I sell up. Sounds like cutting a recess is the way to go though.

As for squaring up in the hole, I guess I wasn't clear: if I square it up then the screws within the mounting holes go into "nothing"... There's no plasterboard behind the mounting holes when it's square, only the void from the hole.

Sponsored Links
You must have those exposed wires protected. Either drill the back of the Heatlink and bring the wires in through the back, and adjust its position over the hole, or use a small piece of minitrunking with cover and end caps.

Do you have a single gang back box in the original hole?

Yes of course. It was just a temporary fix last night as time permitted.

It's now done...

20170220_200311.jpg

I had to work around the fact that the wall plate screws were 60mm apart, and the Heat Link's 70mm, but a bit of sanding and lick of paint should have it finished...

20170220_195420.jpg

Yes of course. It was just a temporary fix last night as time permitted.

It's now done...

View attachment 114530

I had to work around the fact that the wall plate screws were 60mm apart, and the Heat Link's 70mm, but a bit of sanding and lick of paint should have it finished...

View attachment 114531

So you've no problems with cancelling your system warranty?

I don't like the Nest system for the reasons Dan stated & you experienced.

I also hate Skim on Plasterboard & your photo shows why. Here in Scotland we Tape n Fill Plasterboard, far better wall finish.

So you've no problems with cancelling your system warranty?

The warranty's confirmed to have expired in 2013.

I don't like the Nest system for the reasons Dan stated & you experienced.

Each to their own.

I also hate Skim on Plasterboard & your photo shows why. Here in Scotland we Tape n Fill Plasterboard, far better wall finish.

Once sanded and painted I'm sure it'll come out fine (no, not from the perspective of "you get better quality finishes in Scotland", but from the perspective of "it's the same quality finish as the rest of the wall in this apartment, and you'll never notice it was there").

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back