Consistency

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am using joint compound on taped joints. (Managed to get two coats on then had to leave it for a week due to other commitments.)

With the second coat, having filled the joint, when I went along the joint with a knife, the compound pulled on itself, leaving a very rough finish.
I suspect the mix was too dry or too wet. Or I had the knife at a bad angle.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
are you using bagged or ready mixed compound?
put a photo up of the worst joins please.
if youve rippled the tape and or got lumpy loose bits then you might have to start again or do a belt sander job - thats if you are going to skim over.

It's to do with the background. Board and paper is low suction, dried plaster/Easi-Fill etc.. is high suction.

Your first coat simply dried out, when you tried to fill over it, it simply sucked the moisture out of your filler. If you water down SBR or PVA and two coat over the first layer of filler, then that would have changed it to low suction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back