constant water out of shower hose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need some advice,recently turned the mains off to do the tap washers(no isolating valves) and now my triton martinique electric shower will not stop flowing water from the hose,luckily it has an isolating valve,i know nothing about showers and was thinking it is either the solenoid thingy or the pressure relief valve,any ideas,
Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
does it still flow if you isolate the mains power at the pullcord etc ?
if so do a resistance test on the solenoid valve, you want a read of 3.4kohms.

Yeh,it flows with everything turned off.Not sure of multi meters but put mine on 20K on the ohms scale and got 3.73 with the probes on either solenoid tabs.

Sponsored Links
So need to get a new solenoid then?There is like a fine mesh that is torn in it also.

thats the one.

solenoid valve complete retail at approx £27.
solenoid coil on its own retail at approx £15.

check the resistance on the coil first see if its open circuit.

do a continuity test yes?When i blow through it,it goes straight through,so it has jammed open then i think.

the fine mesh is that in the inlet water pipe ? mains water filter.

make sure you check the coil for resistance.
if it has resistance of 3.4 kohms its the valve part not the coil.

it can be the valves got limescale in it if its got a split filter mesh.

you can take it off and wash it, but take the coil off first.

or bite the bullet and just fit a new one save mucking about with it.

I'm a bit lost,i removed the solenoid which has the mesh in,which part is the coil and which is the valve,the bit i removed is one piece lika an Lshape with a coil/motor on the bottom,i assumed the rush of water when i turned the mains on had broken it so it stays open and the shower waterflow cannot be turned off.

you removed the inlet water pipe, and two screws that hold it to the shower unit.

the plastic part is the valve.
the coil on the bottom is the solenoid . which if you slightly lever it at the bottom and pull it will seperate from the plastic part.

now the coil can fail, thats why i say check for resistance.
or the rubber diaphragm can fail in the plastic part.

most places will only sell both parts as a complete unit. ie £26
engineers we carry the coils seperate.

alot will only supply as a unit because they can give the same fault.
but people where opting for the cheapest part (solenoid coil)
fitting it then complaining that it hadn't cured the fault then having to buy the valve.
so ie people like the shower doc now only sell to public the complete unit.

if you know how they work etc you can pin point the exact part thats failed
ie mainly the coil. which is half price the complete valve.

Ah right,starting to understand now,i have ordered the part from Triton which is the whole unit for £33,i think it is for the best.Just gotta do it before the wife washes her hair and realises i broke it lol,thanks again for your help,your a star mate.

I just levered the solenoid off so will keep it as a spare as i think it may be o.k.

sometimes easier to buy complete part then your not without a shower to long.

good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back