Shower hose non-return valve built in.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a power shower (Triton Opal) on which I have changed the shower head and hose previously. I can't remember the source or details about the replacement hose I used, but looking at it now I can see that it has an inbuilt blue plastic diaphragm type thing about an inch in from one end, which presumably is there to act as a basic non-return valve?

I have been having some pressure troubles with the shower and have changed the solenoid coil which I thought had solved the problem, but although there is a decent pressure of water coming out of the unit, when the hose is fitted it seems to be obstructing the water flow still. I wonder if might be partially blocked at the diaphragm?

Does it matter which end the plastic diaphragm is (I don't know which end it was originally), and is the diaphragm necessary on a wall mounted shower over a tray, rather than a bath?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1. More likely to be a filter than a non-return valve.
2. If you are in a hard water area, the filter may be partially clogged with lime-scale. Pop it into de-scaler or white vinegar for a while.

1. More likely to be a filter than a non-return valve.
2. If you are in a hard water area, the filter may be partially clogged with lime-scale. Pop it into de-scaler or white vinegar for a while.

I've had another look at this and it does seem to be a sort of valve-type thing rather than a filter. I guess it modifies the water flow stop and start rather than acting as a non-return valve. It is a sort of plastic iris with three wings, and it pops open when the pressure is high enough, and then snaps shut as the pressure drops. Totally unnecessary pita in my opinion. I may well try to pull it out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back