Constructing a path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to build a gravel path next to our block-paved driveway as the drive is too narrow to park in such a way that everyone can get out of the car easily. The path will not be driven on, it will just enable the driver to get out of that side without having to tread on the muddy garden.
The area to be covered is approximately 4.5m by 0.5m.
I understand that I need to dig out a trench ~5-6" deep. Is that about right? Is that 5-6" from the level of the block paving surface?
I will then put edging stones along the outside edge. What do I secure them with?
I have a number of house bricks. Can I use those to start filling the bottom of the trench? I am planning to get a load of recycled aggregates from a local skip hire place. Would "75mm down" from a crusher run be suitable? I then plan to finish it with a couple of inches of decorative gravel (hopefully a similar colour to the brindle paving).

I'd really appreciate input on the process above, as well as help estimating what quantities I will need of aggregates etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back