Constructing brick or wood raised water feature + bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm playing around with some ideas on how to solve a messy area in our garden. So far I've added a brick mow strip around the edges of the garden (concreted in)

I've now got the final stretch to do, but the section has always given me a headache due to the Silver Birch growing in an awkward place and it's roots that are close to the surface. The stump nearest the decking has now gone:

upload_2016-8-22_12-22-25.png

As I can't brick past the tree, I was thinking about creating a raised planter around the silver birch, and then infilling the gap between this and the deck with a raised water feature. These would either be done using timber or brick + render. Quick sketch up render:

upload_2016-8-22_12-24-40.png

I'm struggling on what to do to be honest as both options seem to have their own problems.

Timber:
If I go for the timber option, then I can most likely drive some stakes into the ground and concrete them in place where there are no roots. Stakes can be driven in-between the roots, but they won't be concreted in.
This should be OK for around the tree, but then the water feature presents a bit of a tricker problem. I can probably get a more solid base around here, but then theres the issue of the timber warping under the pressure of the water, as well as any expansion in the frost..

Brick:
If I go for the brick option, then I'm going to struggle to get a solid 2 course foundation in some areas. My main concern would be around the front of the tree and water feature, as well as the middle part.

Both ideas also suffer from the problem that if the roots grow upwards then they may push the work i've done around.

Any suggestions on what to do here?

Sponsored Links
There's also a limit to how much you can increase the ground level before the tree gets unhappy.
I'd probably try to keep it simple, maybe extend the border into the current lawn in a semicircle from the tree and have either no or shallow edging.

Aware of that one. Couldn't be bothered to put it in the render but the trunk will be left exposed

Last edited:
I think it's more the roots being buried that you need to worry about.
May be OK if most of them are beyond the extent of the box.
Fill it with something air-permeable e.g. big pebbles, not solid topsoil.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back