Constructing garden steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently in the process of constructing a series of steps and have so far laid footings for the engineering bricks.

The bricks will form the riser and sides to the steps, with hardcore infill.

I then plan on paving over with Indian sandstone and using the slabs to clad the brick riser.

My question(s):
Are there any flaws to this with regards to paving over the hardcore and engineering brick

Is it realistic to clad the engineering brick face with Indian sandstone, or will the mortar freeze/thaw and then result in them falling off in the winter?

Any help appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
You may struggle to get the stone to adhear to the engineering brick riser as there is almost no suction. To combat this your best off sandwiching it in place with the tread flag of the step above. Try to fill the back of the riser slab with a rich wet mortar and use some SBR in your mix as it will help the bonding and strength of the mortar. Be careful though not to get it on the face of the stone as it stains if not washed off imediately.

Other than that your method sounds good.

SBR is an outdoor bonding agent similar to PVA but waterproof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back