Garden paving - which type?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have about 40sq.m. to pave where there are currently ugly old concrete flags and weeds at the back patio. Includes a step down where levels change.

- Concrete seems too expensive, including flags.

- Brick pavers are reasonably priced and easy to work with I think. Likely to be prep needed since they're smaller and need more support than the sand and muck underneath the current flags which were done with dot and dab. So all the hardcore and mortar has to be factored into the material and labour costs. Problem with these is that weeds could become a nightmare owing to all the joints.

- Indian sandstone. Looks good and seems to be the cheapest option. I can get 22sqm pack of 18mm thick for £17.23 per sq.m. so comes out a little cheaper than brick pavers. That said, I'm not sure if these need more or less ground preparation? As they are larger in area, could they just go on to the sand already underneath existing flags (which have been there for decades) or will they need as much prep work as brick pavers? Also, how durable are these 18mm thick flags?

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Further question, could existing flags be used as the hardcore layer and then be mortared over with Indian flags put over the top? Would be a problem in relation to DPC as existing flags are 3 courses below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back