Patio Paving

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi folks,

We live in the south of France and would like to pave an area of our garden using pavers (large format ones, say 50cm x 50cm). We want to pave a total area of 40m2 (~400 sq ft).

From what I read, I need a weed barrier, then gravel foundation of around 10 cm (4"), then sand and then the pavers. Some people seem to use mortar - do I need to use mortar for the pavers? Here is a link to the type of product I am considering (they are 50mm thick):
https://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/pro...e-ton-pierre-l-50-x-l-50-cm-x-ep-50-mm-e30361

Also, within the area I want to pave, there is an existing paved area (concrete with tiles on top) of 8m2 (80 sq ft) and a separate concrete slab (very not level) of 10m2 (100 sq ft).

I'm not sure how to work around this and I'm wondering if anyone has any creative suggestions? If I put the pavers on top of the existing tiled terrace, I will be too close to the door threshold in height (how much lower should I be?)

Other than digging up the terrace or pouring concrete over the entire area and using a thinner tile on top, are there any other ways around this problem?

I am assuming pour concrete and tiling on top is going to be way more expensive since I won't be able to do it myself?

Thoughts?

Edit, another idea is to find a tile with the same finish as the pavers and use the tile over the existing concrete base areas - this will solve the height problem, but will it be difficult to get a level homogeneous area where there are two different foundations?

Sponsored Links
You should really break up the concrete areas and lay a consistant sub base over the whole area, the concrete areas aren't that big so I would go for it. Lay your flags on 6:1 mortar. Those flags are not really suitable for sand only laying.

You shouldn't put a weed membrane under the sub base. If you have very heavy clay soil you could use a geotextile membrane but its not essential.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back