Construction drawings

Take it like getting a flat pack from Ikea, some people will be happy just looking at the picture and others will want step by step instructions.
thanks for the reply tomfe, I think you're right. Overall it is going to be a mixed bag. I'm thinking from a business perspective that I should factor my time and costs to do a decent detailed drawing with typical 1:20s on the floors, walls etc. and if the builder doesnt need it (say he's one of my usuals) then I'd be quids in, (apart from when they text me on a Sunday morning for regulation advice and I've got a hangover, I suppose I pay for it in other ways ha)

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply tomfe, I think you're right. Overall it is going to be a mixed bag. I'm thinking from a business perspective that I should factor my time and costs to do a decent detailed drawing with typical 1:20s on the floors, walls etc. and if the builder doesnt need it (say he's one of my usuals) then I'd be quids in, (apart from when they text me on a Sunday morning for regulation advice and I've got a hangover, I suppose I pay for it in other ways ha)

I would've thought that 1:20 is a bit big - 1:25 is good enough for showing detail when 1:50 might be a bit small, and not too big on A1 sheets.
In my early days 3/8" was a good scale for sections (but I'm drifting back to the 1850s now).

I would've thought that 1:20 is a bit big - 1:25 is good enough for showing detail when 1:50 might be a bit small, and not too big on A1 sheets.
In my early days 3/8" was a good scale for sections (but I'm drifting back to the 1850s now).
Haha it's all good advice, thanks tony

I would say it depends on the nature of the project and your attitude to your role.

Personally I like to put a lot of detail on my plans, my notes read like a schedule of work so the builder can follow them if they want to or substitute materials of an equal quality. I think this is important when the builders are pricing the job so they are all working on a level playing field it also helps the client as we have already covered some of the details that the builder will need to know anyway and it avoids last minute panic decisions.

If you are just doing bog standard extension boxes on estate houses then you will probably get away with more basic plans but if and when you get into the larger and more complex projects then the details become far more important. You are the designer so you have a professional responsibility to produce drawings that show the builder exactly what you want them to do and how to do it. In the early days that is obviously quite difficult as you may well be telling an experienced builder what to do but over time you will learn and the builders will come to respect your knowledge and experience.

One little nugget of advice I would give is try to get as much practical experience as possible. Being on site and actually seeing the work close up, or better still actually having a go yourself is worth years sat at a drawing board/computer screen.

Welcome to the clan and good luck.

Sponsored Links
In the early days that is obviously quite difficult as you may well be telling an experienced builder what to do but over time you will learn and the builders will come to respect your knowledge and experience.

One little nugget of advice I would give is try to get as much practical experience as possible. Being on site and actually seeing the work close up, or better still actually having a go yourself is worth years sat at a drawing board/computer screen.

Welcome to the clan and good luck.

Thank you wessex101, I have been fortunate enough to get in with a builder who understands and has invited me to site, so I totally agree. Also, I try and do as much on my house as I can, (bar from the plumbing, 'cos who willingly does toilets?!) and also, sitting in front of a computer isn't that much fun all day everyday ha, I will try and take as many opportunities as I can, so thank you for the advice!

Also the point you made about builders costing! You're right, I was worried about putting these builders in a tight corner when I'm not sure who the builder is or their preference but you make a very good point about them quoting equally for the client. The experienced advice I came here for! - cheers

The best designers are those who design as if they are building the thing themselves and paying for it too.

As a customer that's recently used a guy to do drawings I would say make sure you keep up to date with all the regs and your Councils supplementary planning document.

If someone comes for a design make sure it's within the rules. The guy I used didn't do that and we fell out, now if anyone asks me if I know a decent drawer I say 'No, but I know a bad one'.

As a customer that's recently used a guy to do drawings I would say make sure you keep up to date with all the regs and your Councils supplementary planning document.

If someone comes for a design make sure it's within the rules. The guy I used didn't do that and we fell out, now if anyone asks me if I know a decent drawer I say 'No, but I know a bad one'.

I'm sorry to hear that! I double check the building regs
, before consultation and after I've done the design. I think if I were to ever make a mistake I would fix it free of charge to be honest because that's technically what Im hired for, to meet regs, it's the bare minimum really, he should have been more help to you. I'm just wondering to what degree of detail to go into after that, I will always state the regs, but the details of how you meet them via the construction process is what I'd like to refine. But thanks for the advice, good to hear from a customer, hope you find someone better for your future projects!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back