Extension Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to build a rear storey extension to the rear of my home. The size of the proposed extension is 6m x 4.9m.

I have had architect drawings made which details the sizes etc. I believe this will fall under permitted development so what is the process for this?

I was told i also need a building control certificate but building control typically require a set of construction drawings which can be studied and approved which follows by site visits. is this correct?

What else do i need to do after i have been given permission for permitted development?

What do i need for builders quotes?

Sponsored Links
Google 'Planning Portal',
If your extension is pd (which it might be) then the clue is in the name -Permitted Development ie you already have permission for it.
Who drew your drawings and who told you it would be pd?
For a simple extension (conventional build, no complexities) you could use a Building Notice rather than full plans. Or you could get your 'architect' to do them- they contain much more technical detail than the pretty drawings
Quotes- again for a conventional build you could use the pretty drawings, if you are a complete newcomer to building then get your 'architect' to draw the detail plans for building regs and use them for your quotes.

you can apply for certificate of lawfulness. that confirms that your build is PD.

building regs can be done by local authority or by independant company -they generally dont do building notice and can be more expensive for fees but can be easier to deal with

Google 'Planning Portal',
If your extension is pd (which it might be) then the clue is in the name -Permitted Development ie you already have permission for it.
Who drew your drawings and who told you it would be pd?
For a simple extension (conventional build, no complexities) you could use a Building Notice rather than full plans. Or you could get your 'architect' to do them- they contain much more technical detail than the pretty drawings
Quotes- again for a conventional build you could use the pretty drawings, if you are a complete newcomer to building then get your 'architect' to draw the detail plans for building regs and use them for your quotes.

We are getting a grant from my local council as it is to build a disabled bathroom for my father who is now in a wheelchair.
The council grants officer has said
"from the look of the plans, it looks like it would fall under permitted development which means it would require a Prior Approval planning application only of which there’s no fee anyway. However you’d need to confirm with planning that it would fall under prior approval. Please note that any planning approved under prior approval must be built by May 2019 when the current planning exemptions for permitted dev end."

What would i need to get the Building Notice?
Also what detail plans do i need for building regs?

Sponsored Links
That size is not PD as such, you need to go through the Prior Approval scheme

[Edit] sorry, just saw your most recent comment

you can apply for certificate of lawfulness. that confirms that your build is PD.

building regs can be done by local authority or by independant company -they generally dont do building notice and can be more expensive for fees but can be easier to deal with

Thats good to know, how do i get building regs done by local authority - as its a disabled extension project i was told there would be no charge. Just trying to find out how and what i need to do.

Also what detail plans do i need for building regs?

Elevation drawings to show construction and annotated with details of materials and construction which cover all elements of the current building regs.

It is the best way to go -it means the specification is set at the beginning and plan checked. A building notice means ommissions are only seen after work has been built which could involve expensive re-work.

Why isn't your plan drawer advising you?

Why has your plan drawer done plans for something which, if it is PD, does not require plans?

There is PD, there is neighbour consultation PD and then there is full planing permission. You need to be clear about which it is, and the one to tell you is the designer of the thing, because he should have designed it to be one or the other.

There are building regulations (detailed plans and specification to quote from and build to), Party Wall Act and drainage build over agreements to consider too.

Why isn't your plan drawer advising you?

Why has your plan drawer done plans for something which, if it is PD, does not require plans?

There is PD, there is neighbour consultation PD and then there is full planing permission. You need to be clear about which it is, and the one to tell you is the designer of the thing, because he should have designed it to be one or the other.

There are building regulations (detailed plans and specification to quote from and build to), Party Wall Act and drainage build over agreements to consider too.

To be honest i think my architect is not being fully co-operative and charging for things that i may or may not need, therefore i have come here for advice on what to do.

Well then, first you need to determine if the extension is PD or requires consultation or full planning permission. Sizes and location to boundaries determine this. You need specific advice on site and here is just a might-be or might not be.

Once that is determined, you will need a full set of technical drawings for the quotation and building process - a Building Notice is not appropriate in this situation. The council/grant provider will typically need a copy too, to check that the design is suitable and compliant with the funding.

You need a better advisor as there are several things that need to be covered and in place at the various stages, and can design to the CSDPA specification.

Then you come to actually doing the work and the arrangements for inspections (building regulations and by the funder/council grant officer?) and payments to the builder - project management. You need to comply with any funding T&Cs.

Fundamentally, this is just a normal extension. So get someone who can advise you and deal with the plans. But as this is grant funded, then someone with experience of this would be an advantage. Likewise for the builders - can you get a list of approved or recommended contractors from the council - normally from the Housing Dept or Social Services?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back