Pre Application Advice do i need this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Under the “Permitted Development Rights for Householders” it explains that if the total extension is less than half the width of the existing dwelling and extends no more than 3m beyond the rear wall it will be classed as permitted development. I have calculated that the proposal extends 4.3m beyond the existing rear wall. The following extract however expresses that until 30th May 2019 we can project no more than 6m beyond the rear wall. The existing width of the original house is 6.6m which makes half the width being 3.3m.

My proposal is 4.85m in width which makes it greater than half the width of the existing dwelling therefore I cannot confirm that the scheme will fall under permitted development. So i am a little confused.

I have read online that I can pre application advice for a residential single storey extension for free, however my local council are charging for this.

So now i do not know if I need prior approval or if this will fall under permitted development

Sponsored Links
Seems pretty obvious to me? Maximum width is 3.3m and you are at 4.85m. So you will need to make a planning application.

I know that but I am on planning portal and i don't know which one to select. IS it householder planning permission or lawful development?

Householder planning.
LDC gets you a bit of paper from the council confirming that your scheme is PD (handy when you sell the place). Your scheme is not PD so don't waste the money on pre-app advice

Sponsored Links
Under the “Permitted Development Rights for Householders” it explains that if the total extension is less than half the width of the existing dwelling and extends no more than 3m beyond the rear wall it will be classed as permitted development. I have calculated that the proposal extends 4.3m beyond the existing rear wall. The following extract however expresses that until 30th May 2019 we can project no more than 6m beyond the rear wall. The existing width of the original house is 6.6m which makes half the width being 3.3m.

My proposal is 4.85m in width which makes it greater than half the width of the existing dwelling therefore I cannot confirm that the scheme will fall under permitted development. So i am a little confused.

I have read online that I can pre application advice for a residential single storey extension for free, however my local council are charging for this.

So now i do not know if I need prior approval or if this will fall under permitted development

I though 'half the width of the house' refers to side extensions. Cant rear extensions be full width?

I though 'half the width of the house' refers to side extensions. Cant rear extensions be full width?

The council pointed me towards this document and said:
It is advisable to be carefully look at (j) the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse would extend beyond a wall forming a

side elevation of the original dwellinghouse, and would –

(iii) have a width greater than half the width of the original dwellinghouse

https://assets.publishing.service.g...der_Technical_Guidance__-April_2017_FINAL.pdf

The council pointed me towards this document and said:
It is advisable to be carefully look at (j) the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse would extend beyond a wall forming a

side elevation of the original dwellinghouse, and would –

(iii) have a width greater than half the width of the original dwellinghouse

https://assets.publishing.service.g...der_Technical_Guidance__-April_2017_FINAL.pdf

That situation is interpreted as a side extension.

Does your proposed extension butt up against a side wall.

Or to put another way, is the rear of your house stepped, or flat across the back

That situation is interpreted as a side extension.

Does your proposed extension butt up against a side wall.

Or to put another way, is the rear of your house stepped, or flat across the back

I have attached the plan, the dark grey is the proposed wall. Its basically extension at the back of the garage and connecting to the side of the property.

Attachments

• extension.JPG
    extension.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 211
If the extension to the living room and kitchen was not original, then your new proposal would need planning permission because it links to it.

It needs planning permission, it's a rear and a side extension. If the application is solely for a disabled person you will be exempt from the fee though. Same for the building regs fee.

If the extension to the living room and kitchen was not original, then your new proposal would need planning permission because it links to it.

I think the extension to living room and kitchen was not original, although i have lived there for 30 years and was there before we moved in so cannot tell if that is an extension or part of the original house.

It needs planning permission, it's a rear and a side extension. If the application is solely for a disabled person you will be exempt from the fee though. Same for the building regs fee.

Thank you, Do you know what i need to do next to get these in motion?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back