Constructional Hearth Regulations Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have pulled out an old working fireplace and superimposed hearth (which was a slab of lightweight concrete) and would like to now have a cast iron fireplace and slate hearth to go back into the same space.

The fireplace is on the ground floor and my current constructional hearth is brick and cement descending a couple of foot below the level of the floorboards (I have been under the crawl space so know how deep it is. The joists either side are supported by the edge of the constructional hearth and you can see in the attached photo where they are.

As they are obviously wood and so combustable, I am trying to find out if they need to be at least 150mm from the edge of the builders opening or if the narrower later built opening in the fireplace is acceptable. This will obviously affect the height that the hearth has to be

The constructional hearth is also a couple of cm lower than the floor boards, so I intend to level it before putting the superimposed hearth (and fireplace) on top.

The projection to the edge of the floorboards from the jamb is actually 47cm not 41cm.

Sponsored Links
All looks fine to me.

I believe there has to be a height difference of at least 12mm between the floor and hearth but you seem to have that covered too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back