Consumer fit in a utility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I need to get my consumer moved into a utility room which will have, no sink but will have a washing machine and currently has my boiler.

Are there any rules as to its location and distances from these items.

The intention is to have it put it in a cupboard in the utility, but i need to know what i can and can not do before i plan the utilty fit out.

Room size is about 12 foot square

thanks for the help, can supply a piccy if it helps

tufty

Sponsored Links
You mean consumer unit?

There's no reason why the consumer unit cannot go in a utility room, and I have seen many in kitchens.

Now some real practical stuff.

How far from the meter will the new consumer unit be situated?
Who will be doing the installation?
How will the existing circuits be extended so they will reach to the new location?

Hi taylor

thanks for the reply.

In answer, meter will be being moved by local supplier, southern electric.

New meter box is already fitted outside by myself, but i have to do all their digging and pay them about £460 for them to disconnect and reconnect...... so consumer unit needs to be within 2metres,( as far as i know ) , of outside meter.

I am electrically qualified but not part p or 17th, but i have the inspection and test side sorted for later by someone else.

Its a bungalow, so not much in the way of wires to move about really, but yes they will have to be extended some 10 foot into the new unit, or re routed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back