Consumer Unit - 17th edition compliance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

Just wondering if it is possible to upgrade a crabtree 15way split load consumer unit to meet the new 17th edition regs. It currently has 1 RCD protecting 1 side of the board and I'm wondering if it is possible to upgrade in any way, i.e. can a second RCD be added (losing 2 MCB slots) to protect the currently unprotected MCB's or should I just buy another consumer unit. I do realise that it is not curently a regulation to RCD protect all circuits but at this stage I'd just like to install the to the latsest standard for futureproofing.

You may have guessed this is a DIY install, I have just finished first fix - inspection by BCO today!! eeeeek!! further inspection will be carried out by a qualified electrician (who will connect the tails) and a 2nd inspection from BCO on completion.

Your constructive comments are appreciated, many thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
You can fit RCBOs on the none RCD side

(Actually, a split board with RCBOs for power and lighting circuits, and cookers, showers and water heaters on the RCD side perhaps complies better than a so called 17th edition board!)

Hi chaps,

Just wondering if it is possible to upgrade a crabtree 15way split load consumer unit to meet the new 17th edition regs. It currently has 1 RCD protecting 1 side of the board and I'm wondering if it is possible to upgrade in any way, i.e. can a second RCD be added (losing 2 MCB slots) to protect the currently unprotected MCB's
Hmmm.

You'd have to cut the busbar so that it wasn't fed from the incomer, cut the neutral bar, and source cables to run from the incomer and neutral bar to the new RCD.

1301101bj8.jpg

A lot of aggro, and physically it might be impossible, given how the busbar and neutral bar are currently supported.

Sponsored Links
er.. if this is a Starbreaker you will need a replacement bus bar, and crabtree RCD's take 3 slots. I have not seen the new Crabtree boards so cannot see how they will get over the bus bar problem.
Another route for you might be to convert the board to a Wylex. Both are made by Electrium in Cannock and use the same case. You will have to balance the cost.

Yes, that’s the solution if you have £££ to spare.
Where can I buy shares in RCBO manufacturing companies :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back