Consumer unit and old units

Ell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into my first new home and its a bit of a mess. It has been suggested that I have the main electric consumer unit upgraded. I have been quoted £400 + Vat. Can someone tell me whether this is an Ok quote. Additionally, some old electrical boxes stuck to the wall for an old cooker, an old shower and an old alarm system no longer there. Can these be ripped out? Do I need an electrician, what are the likely costs please? I also need an alarm system and shower installing, do I buy these myself and get an electrician to install them ??????? ARGH!!

Sponsored Links
its difficult to say without more info photos would be helpfull

while changing a CU isn't rocket science it does involve pulling the recs main fuse and therefore is best left to a sparky unless you are very competant

Ell said:
I have just moved into my first new home and its a bit of a mess. It has been suggested that I have the main electric consumer unit upgraded. I have been quoted £400 + Vat. Can someone tell me whether this is an Ok quote.
I have a piece of string in my kitchen drawer. Can you tell me how long it is?

Additionally, some old electrical boxes stuck to the wall for an old cooker, an old shower and an old alarm system no longer there. Can these be ripped out?
They can almost certainly be removed. I would suggest that ripping them out is not the most appropriate removal method.

Do I need an electrician, what are the likely costs please? I also need an alarm system and shower installing, do I buy these myself and get an electrician to install them ??????? ARGH!!
I think the fact that you are asking these questions means that you don't know enough to do these jobs yourself. They are not necessarily beyond you, just beyond you right now with your current state of knowledge, and it depends on the urgency of these works as to whether you have the time to learn what you need, or if you should get someone in.

Alarm systems with any degree of sophistication can, I believe, be particularly tricky to get right, and also if you have a registered installer (e.g. NACOSS) do the work you should get a discount on your house insurance. Not all electricians are experts in alarm systems.

As what Plugwash wrote, it's not rocket science to change your consumer unit,but your existing circuits should be tested to see if disconnection times can still be achieved with your new mcb's.

Sponsored Links
Ell said:
I have been quoted £400 + Vat. Can someone tell me whether this is an Ok quote.

Just did a CU change for £450 inc. It involved a full inspection and test, rectifying the dangerous problems caused by kitchen fitters, upgrading the bonding, full certification and removal all the old switchgear. Took a day and a half. The quote you have does not sound unreasonable. But get at least another one for comparison.

Er, dingbat, you mention 'dangerous problems caused by kitchen fitters'.... this is worrying me. I'm having a kitchen fitted in 2 weeks and I'm already doubtful of their electrical skills (see my post at the top of the forum!) Is this something you find often, and if so PLEASE let me know what to look out for and anything they should'shouldn't be doing that could be dangerous. I'm taking the week off work to 'supervise' them!!

If you are having electrical work done you must insist that B&Q provide qualified electricians - ask them to tell you in writing what their qualifications are and tell them that you will expect an electrical installation certificate to be issued in respect of the work that they do. Insist that all the work is done by a qualified electrician, not done by a fitter and checked by an electrician.

Because then, if they've screwed up, you'll have a document signed by a representative of B&Q stating that everything was designed and installed and tested in accordance with the wiring regulations.

If B&Q cannot or will not give you any assurances that the electrical work will be properly done, then even at this late stage consider cancelling the order, and suing them for the return of your deposit.

Phew! I thought you were going to say they'd rip my house apart or something! I've already chec ked all that, and they do guarantee all electrical work and certify it all. Whether they do it correctly, I'll have to wait and see! I will want to see the qualifications of the guy who does the work though, so I'll check up on that.

The reason I'm concerned is that their kitchen 'planner', basically the guy who checks everything is fitting together and everything's ordered etc, came round last night in place of the electrician I'd requested, knew nothing about electrics and proceeded to tell us we needed an RCD, without even checking our main supply box to see what system we had in. So I'm kinda annoyed and worried! The only things they'll be doing to the electrics is moving one double socket along 12 inches, and fitting under-pelmet spotlights. So I'm hoping they can manage that without any trouble! :rolleyes:

the big sins of kitchen fitters are

1: using unsuitable cable
2: spuring of anything and everything for any load (cooker points spured off rings is not unheared of)
3: breaking rings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back