Consumer Unit for Extension & Shed

PTM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping that somebody will be able to offer me a solution to a small problem.

We have an extension attached to our house, and the electrics/decorating in it had been DIY'ed by the previous owner. We have owned the property for six months and moved in a month ago. Most of the property was rewired with a new consumer unit, but the budget did not extend to the extension and as I mentioned the wiring was a mess, so the electricians disconnected it, and I have since torn it all out.

The electricians left us with a disconnected Twin & Earth buried in conduit behind the kitchen walls (10mm I think) going to the extension & advised that a consumer unit would be required in the extension, when we were ready.

So my question is what consumer unit should I use.

The new wiring I have installed in the extension is as follows:

1/ A ring main circuit with 3 double and 1 single socket
2/ A lighting circuit for 3 light fittings
3/ A separate circuit for an 500W outdoor floodlight

finally there is an armoured cable that supplies the shed, with radial main and light fitting.

As a first year electrical engineering student I would like to finish most of the work myself for experience and then have the Pro's back to inspect my work and connect the 10mm T&E to the main CU. So any advice on what CU to use, what RCD rating to go with & if I need a separate CU in the shed would be great.

Sponsored Links
The shed will need an RCD, as presumably the chances of plugging in a garden tool are high. Idealy not the same RCD as the rest of house, other wise any trips will be a nuiscence !
Almost any solid looking DINM rail CU will do, but realise that differnt makers use slightly differnt size brekers - the reail is standard, but the contact plane isnt - so dont mix makes.
Easiest may be to buy a CU with RCD and breakers installed as a kit - lok at offerings by TLC, screwfix etc. Avoid the cheaest of the cheap, and give yourself some extra room to work.
You should probably be notifying under part P, but given its mostly finshed, you migh tbe better to get a PIR certificate afterward instead.

PTM said:
As a first year electrical engineering student I would like to finish most of the work myself for experience and then have the Pro's back to inspect my work and connect the 10mm T&E to the main CU.
You may not care, but if you are interested in being legal, i.e. complying with Part P of the Building Regulations, that plan won't do...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back