House extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently carrying out an extension to my property consisting of extending my kitchen and a utility at ground floor, and two bedrooms and a shower room at first floor. The consumer unit is on the opposite side of the house to the extension, would I be best to extend the ring mains and lighting circuits into the extension or run a new supply from the existing consumer unit to the new utility area with another consumer unit and run new wiring from there.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Either.

A question or two.

1. Does the existing consumer unit provide RCD protection on all circuits? It will need to so that you can meet the requirements of the Wiring Regulations.

2. This extension must have been the subject of a Builidng notice, or planning application. When you made the application, did you say that you would do the electrics, or that you would use an electrician from one of the "Competent Person Schemes"?

I am currently carrying out an extension to my property consisting of extending my kitchen and a utility at ground floor, and two bedrooms and a shower room at first floor. The consumer unit is on the opposite side of the house to the extension, would I be best to extend the ring mains and lighting circuits into the extension or run a new supply from the existing consumer unit to the new utility area with another consumer unit and run new wiring from there.
Would be very difficult to access without a visit to the property for an inspection of your system and discussion with regards to what is required.
Best solution would be to contact a reliable, trustworthy, competent electrician (and yes they do exist) and invite them around for look and quote on the work required.
*New circuits require notification to building controls plus certifacates
*Extending circuits require certificates
Both the above need to comply to part p of building regs and ideally conform to the requirements outlined in BS7671:2008.

Either.

A question or two.

1. Does the existing consumer unit provide RCD protection on all circuits? It will need to so that you can meet the requirements of the Wiring Regulations.

2. This extension must have been the subject of a Builidng notice, or planning application. When you made the application, did you say that you would do the electrics, or that you would use an electrician from one of the "Competent Person Schemes"?

Thanks for your reply, the existing consumer unit does provide RCD protection to all circuits and there was no mention in the building control approval relating to the electrics.

Sponsored Links
....there was no mention in the building control approval relating to the electrics.
Your application for 'building control approval' will surely have involved your answering questions about the electrics?

Kind Regards, John

....there was no mention in the building control approval relating to the electrics.
Your application for 'building control approval' will surely have involved your answering questions about the electrics?

Kind Regards, John

The application was handled by an Architect. I will have to speak to him and ask what was stated on the form.

Thanks for your reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back