Planning position of Consumer Unit etc...

Almost anything is 'do-able. however, as I've said, particularly in the context of a 're-wire', I don't think that moving the CU would add much addituional complexity/work/cost.
"AIUI" is not an 'it' - it's an abbreviation/acronym for "As I understand it".

"DNO" is "Distribution Network Operator" - the organisation which supplies electricity to your property, and their responsibility extends only up to their 'service head' (with their own fuses), commonly called a 'cutout'. This is different from the 'Supplier' (the company who you pay for electricity) whose responsibility starts (and also more-or-less finishes) with the meter.
Fair enough - and, as I've said, I don't think the "3m" is of any great consequence, anyway. The electrician will decide on the appropriate type and route of the cables (and any other 'measures' required). Cables are, in general, not meant to be installed in wall cavities these days.

Kind Regards, John

where are they installed if not in or via the cavities? Can they be chased out in the wall? I have a similar situation where the cables coming from my new meter on the front wall need to be chased out of the front wall into the property and the. Some 6-7m into a cloak room where the new CU will go.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back