Boxing in consumer unit in toilet - regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to box in a meter and consumer unit by one of my clients. The consumer unit is by the elec. meter in a small toilet, a sink has been located on the wall adjacent to the meter and consumer unit. The distance between the sink and the consumer unit is probably about 40cm, add to this the waste from the sink runs directly past the company head. If I box it in it will be effectively an mdf cabinet with a tiled shelve above the meter and unit (this will form a ledge between the wall and sink where sink related items can be left), and doors to allow access to the unit. The sink installation in this location looks dodgy to me particularly with the meter exposed and the proximity of the consumer unit. 3Q's really; Is this regulation compliant? Will building a cabinet around it make compliant? are there any specific regulation guidelines I should address first ??

Sponsored Links
I assume theres no bath/shower in this room?

The waste pipe near the cut-out is poor practice and could lead to a dangerous condition if it should leak, but if its solvent weld fittings installed correctly then this should not happen

Correct working space should be left around the DB and meter... electricians do not like having to disassemble cabinets to get the DB cover off!, and meter fixers are likely to refer the job back to the office and walk away if they encounter such a situation

Thanks

I'm surprised by the close proximity of the sink to the consumer unit, it worries me as its well within the 60cm zone which applies in the p regs, and clearly in a splash zone below the sink. If this isnt compliant would boxing in with a cabinet designed to allow access to the consumer unit & meter, make it so?

Thanks

I'm surprised by the close proximity of the sink to the consumer unit, it worries me as its well within the 60cm zone which applies in the p regs, and clearly in a splash zone below the sink. If this isnt compliant would boxing in with a cabinet designed to allow access to the consumer unit & meter, make it so?

Although perhaps not good practice, those zones only apply to bathrooms, i.e. rooms with a bath or shower.

Sponsored Links
I think it sounds just fine as it is, but there is no problem building a cupboard round it if you like as long as you leave access to the cu & head etc, or even better make the cupboard fully removable.

There are no zones that apply to sinks or basins, and "the p regs" certainly do not make any mention of anythingto do with this.

Thanks - that makes it clear. Creating the cabinet will make things much safer - specially as she has kids running about. Strange that the regs allow a situation like that but there u r :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back