Question Regarding Tails and moved meter box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just in the final stages of an extension on my house and the meter box is soon to be moved. The problem is that the new position of the meter box is about 12 metres from my consumer unit (as the cable goes)and I really dont want to be moving the consumer unit.

What is my workaround if one without having to move the consumer unit? Would I fit a 100A switch between the meter and the consumer unit? ie the switch is within 3 metres of the meter then I take a feed from the switch to the consumer unit? If so can this switch be fitted inside the meter box? i would then run the 12metre run from that to the CU.

I also assume its acceptable to run the cables behind the dot and dab plasterboard.

Also one other question is what are the regulations for downlighters. I have bought fire compliant ones, but what would the final inspection on the house to pass it off say about the gaps I would need to leave in the loft insulation for the downlighters? These would of course cause heat loss where no insulation is.

Please keep answers as clear english as poss :))) I will be having pros into do the work, but I want to know whats what myself before I do that.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Neil

Sponsored Links
Your supplier should fit an isolator in the meter box. Your electrician will then run a length of armoured cable from here to your consumer unit.

Cables behind plaster need to follow safe zones. horizontal and vertical from accessories, and within 150mm of corners.

Why did you buy fire compliant downlighters? Did you need to? Is the ceiling fire rated? Is there a flat / seperate dwelling above?

hiya, sorry for delayed reply. I have found out that EDF energy do not fit isolators and I need to supply an 80amp isolator with 2 metres of the meter box. I also saw an EDF energy van working on the roadside earlier and got out to ask them if they would be interested in moving my meter for cash, no such luck! :(

I have no dweling upstairs, just a bedroom. I guess I bought fire rated ones as I thought it was the thing to do. I bought them on ebay so didnt set me back a fortune. Just want to make sure I have downlighters in my room.

On this electrical thing........ I really would like to do most of it myself. What are in fact the rules and laws governing this? I need to save money on this vastly over budget extension project, and its not rocket science to run rings etc etc so would like to do as much as I can myself. however I do not know how I am governed by the law and regulations.

If anyone knows, I would be grateful

thanks

Neil

afaict it comes down to what the plans you have already notified say.

if the plans you submitted say nothing about who is to do the electrics then i belive you can do it and its building controls responsibility to check it but if they specify that an electrican from one of the competant person schemes is to be used then that may be a problem since by doing it yourself you would be deviating from the plans you submitted.

having said that if you wan't an easy life your best option is to try and follow what your building inspector says as if you get too picky with them in one area they can make your life hell in others (e.g. the part L energy efficiant lighting stuff).

Sponsored Links
then you should be ok to do it but still probablly a good idea to speak to the building inspector to find out what if any inspection of the electrics they will wan't to do and at what stages.

I don`t know if this`ll help....but I found a sparx to do a similar job for me @ my son`s flat........there is a really small modern electronic meter fitted .....and it has a switch inside a cover on the bottom left corner..........is this the isolator that`s required :?: ....we are within the EDF old seeboard area.....hope this helps...of course it`s got the board`s security wire over it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back