Help - New Extension 2nd consumer Unit

Looking at your plan, you've got to put a smoke detector in the lounge and I'm assuming you're going to interlink it to one in the new extension or else where in the house. So you'll probably be lifting the upstairs floor any way, so run new circuit cables at the same time from a new larger cu located where the present one is.

Sponsored Links
comms said:
Looking at your plan, you've got to put a smoke detector in the lounge and I'm assuming you're going to interlink it to one in the new extension or else where in the house. So you'll probably be lifting the upstairs floor any way, so run new circuit cables at the same time from a new larger cu located where the present one is.

LOL never noticed that! There is already an interlinked smoke detector at the bottom of the stairs.... obviously the architect missed that one so i'm not sure whether that matters or not - the new door way to the extension will be directly infront of the stairs.
smokevy1.jpg

The scaffold pole "protecting" tje garage feed..... Is it earthed ( I cannot see a 6 or 10 mm earthbond cable going to it ) and does it have a marker tape above it ?.

If the builders dig in that area and hit this bit of "old left over scaffold pipe" they may just pull it out. If the cable insulation is damaged the pipe may become live and may kill someone handling it. If scaffold pipe is dug up by a mechanical digger and the cable doesn't snap it may do some damage to the meter box as it is ripped out of the house. That is not good news.

Electricians ( as opposed to cowboys ) are very adept at getting cables through with minimum disturbance to decor and plastering.

The CU must in a place where it can be got at quickly in an emergency.

Bernard

Sharnbrook

Thanks for all the replies, i will take on board the issues with the garage supply and get something sorted....
Also i now know what to expect when the sparky comes round.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Have you got a suspended floor at ground level?

Unfortunatly not the house is about 13 years old, the exsisting floor at ground level is concrete with a layer of plastic and then it has 2inches of kingspan glued to 35mm chipboard, this will be the same for the extension to.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back