Moving a consumer unit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need our ancient fuse wire consumer unit upgraded and moved to a more accessible place as my wife can no longer get up steps following a car accident.
I asked an electrician to look at it but he was reluctant to move it from it's current location against the ceiling.
The wires above the unit are accessible in the loft space.
Is it ok to extend/re-route the wires to allow the consumer unit to be dropped to a lower position?

Sponsored Links
I asked an electrician to look at it but he was reluctant to move it from it's current location against the ceiling.
Did he say why?

Is it ok to extend/re-route the wires to allow the consumer unit to be dropped to a lower position?
Absolutely no problem to do that with the outgoing cables, i.e. the ones supplying your lights, sockets, etc.

Do-able, but possibly less straightforward (but still no problem for an electrician) re the incoming tails from the meter.

Where are the main supply fuse & meter in relation to the fuse box?

Is it all in a location where cables on the surface of the wall would be perfectly acceptable, or would you really like them to be concealed?

Did he say why?

Absolutely no problem to do that with the outgoing cables, i.e. the ones supplying your lights, sockets, etc.

Do-able, but possibly less straightforward (but still no problem for an electrician) re the incoming tails from the meter.

Where are the main supply fuse & meter in relation to the fuse box?

Is it all in a location where cables on the surface of the wall would be perfectly acceptable, or would you really like them to be concealed?​

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back