Another consumer unit question. Moving.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See pics. I had a new insulated plasterboard ceiling installed in my house s few years ago and the consumer unit cover was cut to accommodate the new ceiling. You can still get to all connections when the cover is off so not to bad.

I will be getting an electrician to connect a 10sq swa cable to this consumer unit. All the cables are in place in the shed and from shed to the consumer unit.

Is there enough room on this fuse board to take another 32amp rcb or will I have to get a larger consumer unit. If not, this brings me onto my next question.

I was thinking of getting the consumer unit moved lower down the wall rather than up in the ceiling. Can this be achieved through building regs with connections to extend the cables or will I have to go ripping ceilings to bring new cable from point A to new consumer unit location.

For reference, the consumer unit will be getting moved about 1m lower than where it already is.

Pics to follow. Slow internet at the moment.

Sponsored Links
IMG_20231111_120445612.jpg
IMG_20231111_120528930.jpg

Sponsored Links
Really?

Best you consult a spark about the new CU and your submain etc

Yes I'll be having a spark come look at it. I'm not comfortable even taking the cover off or even switching an fuse off in any consumer unit she wouldn't even attempt to go near this.

Was just curious as to why you said bin and replace it. Everything working perfectly. It was an electrician who wired this all up before. I wouldn't have anyone near it unless they where qualified.

For once, i agree with @Murdochcat. There is no way that can be moved, except from the wall and into a skip.
There's a lot wrong with what is there. Also a lot of questions as to why there are so many DP devices....no chance of even guessing an answer is impossible as there are no circuit description labels.
As you want to lower the location, and cables coming up from the floor will be long enough. Cables from above can be extended. there's a handy new product from Wiska - a Consumer Unit Relocation unit . This is good for up to 10 circuits. Note that ring final circuits take up two ways.

*I have a big query about the use of this product.
First of all it is a PLASTIC enclosure, I guess this complies as it isn't a dist board/consumer unit :rolleyes:
Secondly, I dont see compliance with MF requirements, so it couldn't be buried in a wall.

But, back to the task. @2020c
This is not a DIYer's job. It needs careful planning, it is notifiable work so you would need a Registered and Competent Electrcician.
Find a nice friendly one here: https://electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/

consumer unit
That's not a consumer unit.

It's an assemblage of random parts from multiple manufacturers shoehorned into a plastic box.
Probably what someone had left in their stores and was throwing out anyway.
Junk when installed and hasn't improved with age.

I was thinking of getting the consumer unit moved lower down the wall rather than up in the ceiling. Can this be achieved through building regs with connections to extend the cables
Cables can be extended, consumer units can be relocated, no need to dismantle half the house to do so either.

It was an electrician who wired this all up before.
They may have called themselves that, but they were not.

For once, i agree with @Murdochcat. There is no way that can be moved, except from the wall and into a skip.
There's a lot wrong with what is there. Also a lot of questions as to why there are so many DP devices....no chance of even guessing an answer is impossible as there are no circuit description labels.
As you want to lower the location, and cables coming up from the floor will be long enough. Cables from above can be extended. there's a handy new product from Wiska - a Consumer Unit Relocation unit . This is good for up to 10 circuits. Note that ring final circuits take up two ways.

*I have a big query about the use of this product.
First of all it is a PLASTIC enclosure, I guess this complies as it isn't a dist board/consumer unit :rolleyes:
Secondly, I dont see compliance with MF requirements, so it couldn't be buried in a wall.

But, back to the task. @2020c
This is not a DIYer's job. It needs careful planning, it is notifiable work so you would need a Registered and Competent Electrcician.
Find a nice friendly one here: https://electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/

O I know this isn't a diy job. Like I said on my last post, I wouldn't touch this or let anyone near it who's not qualified. Not a chance I'd put my life at risk letting anyone near it who's not registered and qualifed.

All the circuits for the house are coming from above into this consumer unit. There's nothing coming from up from the floor? You must have misread my OP. I was asking can the cables be extended legally to regs. I was always of the opinion that one can not join cables anymore, especially if they are in a ceiling.

What is a DP device?

I can over this wknd note on the consumer unit what all the circuits are. Originally they where wrote on the front of the consumer unit but over time they have faded. It wouldn't take me long to work it out and re-write on the unit what they are only this time I'll use labels.

I am very keen to get this moved lower and a new consumer unit in but hopefully without having to rip ceilings opened. There is a void space above this consumer unit where it can be got to.

That's not a consumer unit.

It's an assemblage of random parts from multiple manufacturers shoehorned into a plastic box.
Probably what someone had left in their stores and was throwing out anyway.
Junk when installed and hasn't improved with age.

Cables can be extended, consumer units can be relocated, no need to dismantle half the house to do so either.

They may have called themselves that, but they were not.

This was classed as a consumer unit at the time. This was purchased as a consumer unit and was a first install in a new house 2004. Where I am, they all are like this from anything built at the time. Today though, things have changed.

It's comforting to know cables can be extended without ripping the house apart and redoing.

May have been classed as a consumer unit b4. Later on people came over and muddled things up.
You need an EICR

Haha. I know regs change but I don't think every house has to change with them.

I know it looks busy on it but every circuit has its own RCB. This I do know. There is 6 beds. 4 bathrooms (2ensuites).

Upstairs there's its own ring circuit for lights. A ring circuit for sockets. An electric shower.

Downstairs is the same, circuit for lights and another for sockets. An electric shower.

There is in the kitchen its own rcbs for dishwasher, dryer and washing machine. Also one for a cooker and another rcb for the oil burner. I'm near sure there's one or two other rcbs for exterior lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back