New Lighting Circuit to Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I am connecting a new lighting circuit to the consumer unit, (garage) does the neutral go to the neutral block in the consumer unit, or does this start from the first light and just create a loop between all lights in the circuit but not form part of the consumer unit ?

I have connected a garage consumer unit fed from the house unit which is short circuiting when any socket on the ring main is used, yet if I treat the new circuit and ring main as an extension lead and put a 3 pin plug on the end and put it into an existing socket it all works fine without tripping the main board- any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Thanks SPARK123, spot on with your guess that I was linking to the wrong Neutral bar. Why should it be any different, I thought neutral was neutral or is that a different question altogether

Sponsored Links
an RCDs purpose is to detect faults to earth. However checking that directly would be nearly impossible as you'd have to account for all earth paths. So what the RCD does is it detects an IMBALANCE between live and neutral current. If this imbalance exceeds a certain level (generally 30ma) it trips.

Connecting the live after the RCD and the neutral before it (or vice versa) will mean the current only flows through one side of the RCD causing it to trip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back