Garage consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to put power in my garage(this has been built attaching the house), i intend to have a ring main with 8 sockets and a lighting circuit, would i be right in saying that if i run a 10mm cable from the main consumer unit in the house to a new consumer unit in the garage it would be ok. What size breaker would i need to put in the house consumer unit? would this be on the RCD side or not?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
I'd put a 32amp mcb at house cu run cable to new garage cu.
From new cu in garage run 4mm T/E radial for sockets with 16amp or 20amp mcb in garage cu.
From garage cu run 1.5mm T/E for lighting with 6amp mcb in cu.

Or seen as you have a spare way on house cu why not look into running circuit for garage sockets (ring or radial 2.5mm for ring or 4mm radial)from this cu protected by a 32amp mcb, then use a fused spur fused down to 3 amp for garage lighting. (not knowing distances between garage & cu this is just an idea).

Which ever you do it's notifiable work ;)

If you're running 10mm cable to a second CU, use a B50 MCB. Then a B32 in the garage for the sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back