Consumer unit limitations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I am considering putting quite a few 50w downlights in my kitchen ceiling.
As the kitchen is quite large this would exceed the rating of the downstairs lights MCB so I would need to put the kitchen on its own circuit.

The consumer unit in my house in a old looking MEM type.
There is enough space for one more MCB on it but I've just thought there may be a limit to the amount of power the consumer unit can supply.

Can you tell me if there is a limit and how I go about finding what the limit is.

Thanks,
Damian

Sponsored Links
damiantaylor said:
Hi all.
I am considering putting quite a few 50w downlights in my kitchen ceiling.
As the kitchen is quite large this would exceed the rating of the downstairs lights MCB so I would need to put the kitchen on its own circuit.

The consumer unit in my house in a old looking MEM type.
There is enough space for one more MCB on it but I've just thought there may be a limit to the amount of power the consumer unit can supply.

Can you tell me if there is a limit and how I go about finding what the limit is.

Thanks,
Damian

100A. normally 80A if you have an RCD. check the RCD and isolator for their max ratings. also, just because its rated at 100A doesnt mean the service fuse is 100A. could be as low as 40.

and how many of these 50W lights are you puttin in? youd have to have quite a few lights permantly on to trip a 6A MCB

6 amps x 230 volts = 1380 watts / 50 watts = 27.6 light fittings

big kitchen
:D :D :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back