Consumer Unit Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My current CU is in the pantry off my kitchen and adjacent to a bedroom.

I've had a thought about a design change before building work starts on an alteration......

This would involve demolishing the pantry wall to the bedroom and then, by default, the CU becoming located in a inbuilt wardrobe of the bedroom.

Is a CU allowed in a bedroom...or are any extra precautions needed like a smoke detector nearby?

Many thanks

Richard

Sponsored Links
Only issue I can see is junk being up around it, I'd section off a compartment in the cupboard as being for the CU only[/list]

Thanks Adam. Yes the plan is that the CU end of the wardrobe would be sectioned off from the rest to ensure there's always access and it doesn't get covered with junk.

In that case, I can't see any problems, however you mention smoke detectors, It might be wise to install a circuit for interlinked mains powered smoke detectors for the house while you are renovating the room with the CU in!

And on a similar topic; EM lights, put a non-maintained one off the local lighting breaker in the cupboard near the CU, that way you'll be able to see to reset the breaker when a rogue lamp knocks it out!

EDIT: Heres a link for you: Never trust a kitchen fitter :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Adam

One of the builders suggested that we'd probably have to install mains smoke/heat detectors as part of the extension to satisfy BC..I might as well plan for it now.

The other route to cheap emergency lighting for the CU..is one of those battery operated push lights...as long as they battery is ok of course!

Love that link LOL - nothing like a true professional!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back