Consumer Unit no more space?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am not sure if anyone can help, although I expect you can. I had my house rewired a year ago and informed the Electrician I wanted an electric shower installed but not yet. Anyway the time has arrived to have it installed. One problem, theres no more slots on the Unit for the Shower..

Will I need another Unit? If so I think I shall be asking him to replace the Unit and I just pay the difference.

I was also thinking If I lay the wiring and he just comes along and Connects it all up at the Shower, Switch and Consumer unit end that should save me some money yeah?

Thanks for any help :confused:

Sponsored Links
Idealy the entire CU should be replaced for a larger one, although it is possible to fit a smaller one along side it. Yes running the cableing yourself would be a good idea but make sure you do it correctly.

yes, I would ask him to come back and replace it with a larger unit seeing as that is what you asked for in the first place.

I guess it is split-load?

You should have an RCD protecting the shower circuit. Make sure the cable size you choose is suitable for the power rating of the shower, the distance run from the CU and any other factors like does the cable run in a high temp area or through or under insulation. These all affect the cable size.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back