Consumer Unit Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello group -

I'm fairly comfortable with domestic electrical work, but have never installed a 'modern' RCD / MCB consumer unit.

I want to rewire the upstairs lighting circuit in my house since it is very old, and I suspect a degree of earth leakage. Also I have no spare circuits on the current board, which is an old-ish 6-way Wylex MCB unit, with MCBs that I cannot now obtain - the pitch of the prongs seems different to 'modern' MCBs.

I have seen a lot of posts on this group re. Consumer Units, but have a couple of specific questions.

Firstly - am I legally bound nowadays to fit an RCB on any new consumer unit? I have a concern about my existing leaky lighting circuit. It does seem to me that I'm best with a board which has both an RCD-protected rail and a switch-protected rail. Is this what is known as a 'split load' board? Is this going to be tricky to wire without specific knowledge?

Finally - there seem to be a few different types of MCB - 'B' type, 'mini-trips'-, etc.... ? Do I need to make sure I but MCBs from the same manufacturer as my new consumer unit? Just some general clarification would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

[Edited by cjgarlick on 29-10-2002 at 15:07 PM GMT]

[Edited by cjgarlick on 29-10-2002 at 15:30 PM GMT]

[Edited by cjgarlick on 29-10-2002 at 15:55 PM GMT]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back