consumer unit placement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a mate of a mate has just moved into a 40 year old house,and he knows my interest in electrics,he asked me to help him find the consumer unit as he couldn't.
it was'nt that hard,it had an outside meter on the kitchen extension,but the cu wasn't directly on the inside wall,a washer was there,then next to that was the sink unit, then a corner unit on the return wall,the consumer was right inside the corner cupboard about 2 mtrs from the meter,it was only accessible by climbing inside the corner unit,and putting your hand through a cut out in the side panel.it looks like the old wylex type with the plug in mcb's.
anyone have any suggestions as to how they could have it moved,the only place they could really put it would be directly above on top of the wall cupboard,but this is probably about 4 mtrs away from the meter.
thanks

Sponsored Links
The elctricity company (DNO) may have a length restriction on the tails. usually 3 metres but you could make it longer by protecting with a switchfuse (a MEM KMF, eg).

The tails will have to be run in safe zones or use armoured cable of suitable size.

As well as the feed from the meter, dont forget that all of the circuits will terminate where the fusebaord is, so they too will have to be moved.
You'll be putting in a new consumer unit I expect? There's lots to think about if you are....

Notifiying the local authority would be the first step...

the consumer was right inside the corner cupboard about 2 mtrs from the meter,it was only accessible by climbing inside the corner unit,and putting your hand through a cut out in the side panel.it looks like the old wylex type with the plug in mcb's.

The kitchen cupboards will have to be removed.

If the CU is that old, no point in moving it. A new one should be installed in a suitable location, and the cables extended to it as required.

4m from the meter is not a problem, but is may require additional equipment installing, depending on your DNOs requirements.

This is notifiable work, and is not a DIY task either.

thanks for the replys,taylor would the switchfuse be 100 amp same as the main fuse?what size armoured would have to be used.
i have told them to contact their supplier.

Sponsored Links
OK - I thought that was relatively recent, that's all, and that they'd otherwise been 80A for yonks..

I came across this one today....

16102008511.jpg

16102008513.jpg

Picture taken for a reason. Does anybody know the short-circuit capacity rating in kA for this type of fuse?

100A BS88 manufactured by Brush, type LR, 440v, AC4, Class Q.

That was my original thought due to it being a HRC BS88 but the software I use to complete my certificates and reports don't have this particular type listed, unless I can categorise it as a general (gG) which is 80kA.

My DNO only ever fit 80's. If you want a 100amp service, it is the next size cutout (the large grey henley or lucy fuses).

Most I work with are 60 or 80.

But like you say newer ones like the henley or Lucy would be 80 or 100.

On new connections one boss told me to fit 80A and another boss said 100A. :confused:

So I just fit 80A now, unless I know the cutouts been upgraded to 100A for a reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back