consumer unit RCD

Sponsored Links
But lets have a look inside before we fire the starting gun.
Fair enough - but the OP volunteered the link to the product description, without any suggestion that it had been modified,so I'd put money on the fact that it remains 3+3 per its factory configuration (even though I suppose it wouldn't be the first time someone had linked and sawn busbars!).

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
In that case you have been diddled and the electrician has lied to you.

To comply with 17th edition, all circuits must be RCD protected. This is required if wiring is concealed less than 50mm from the surface (yours will be).

The two circuits on the right next to the main switch have no RCD protection.
The MCBs should be removed and changed for RCBOs or he needs to install a board that DOES comply. One of these http://www.qvsdirect.com/Excel-12-W...ainswitch-RCDs-MCBs-Split-5-5-2-pr-23773.html if you must have cheapo Excel stuff.

Was the electrician registered with any of the Part P schemes? Find out and complain very loudly.

You should have had an installation certificate for the change of the consumer unit. Also a Building regulations Completion Certificate.

These will occur because the electrician will have declared that the work he has done complies with BS7671 and Building Regulations Part P. But he hasn't so that is a lie and fraud.
Got a Part P compliance certificate and a 17th edition electrical installation certificate the electrician is registered with Elecsa

Who told you about QVS and who actually bought the CU from QVS. the electrician or you yourself.

Did you by any chance happen to be the electrician who fitted it ?.
He bought it the only reason i know where it was from it was still in the bag

I would love to show you a photo with the cover off but do not want to take it off me and electrics do not get on.
I can't blame you for feeling that way. Does the Electrical Installation Certificate you have (or any associated bits of paper) contain a description of the circuits and/or the tests performed on it?

Kind Regards, John.

I would love to show you a photo with the cover off but do not want to take it off me and electrics do not get on.
I can't blame you for feeling that way. Does the Electrical Installation Certificate you have (or any associated bits of paper) contain a description of the circuits and/or the tests performed on it?

Kind Regards, John.
It has a table with a load of figures that do not mean much to me but the end bit says RCD operating times but there is no times for boiler or lights just times for ring cooker and shower

Photo of the consumer unit with the cover off please.
Before you accuse him of being a cowboy.
Fair enough, but you need to be certain before calling him a liar.
Here's the safe way. Turn off the whole installation, you do this by turning off the main switch (that is the big switch on the extreme right)..
Now everything inside is isolated
(please no comments about meter tails from my learned colleagues)

Using a screwdriver, undo the cover securing screws and remove the cover. Take a photo, put the cover back on And turn on the main switch.
Then post the photo on here.

It has a table with a load of figures that do not mean much to me but the end bit says RCD operating times but there is no times for boiler or lights just times for ring cooker and shower
That certainly seems to be consistent with the boiler and lights not being protected by the RCD - which, as you've been told, is not compliant with 17th edition if (as is very likely), at least some of the cabling consists of ordinary cable buried (less than 50mm deep) in walls. [no-one is suggesting that the cables should have been replaced - merely that a dual-RCD CU should have been used so as to provide protection for those ciruits].

Would it be possible for you to scan (or even phoograph) the table, and any other relevant bits of paper, for us?

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back