Wylex consumer unit - Fitting a second RCD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got the following consumer unit, which i'd like to use as part of my extension, its a split load but with a single RCD, every circuit needs RCD protection as they're not more than 50mm deep in the walls.
I'm not sure how to add a second RCD, is it ok to just put two cables into the main switch? and then cut the bus bars to fit? I can afford to drop a couple of MCBs out to give room for the RCD, I would like to keep one MCB without RCD protection for the smoke/security alarm.
Or should I just buy one of the 17th edition consumer units with two rcds already fitted?

IMG_0142.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is possible to double up the conductors in the main switch but rather messy.

Why not use RCBOs in the non-RCD side?

It is possible to double up the conductors in the main switch but rather messy.

Why not use RCBOs in the non-RCD side?

It is messy, hence me asking if there are any alternatives I don't know about.

I could use RCBOs but by the time i've bought 5 or 6 of them I probably could have bought a dual RCD consumer unit thats already populated.

Sponsored Links
The board you have got needs anoth neutral bus to make it a better job.

As you say, the other alternative would be to buy a skeleton 17th board and then populate it with the bits you've already got. (plus another RCD).

Was just in screwfix, and they had a wylex dual RCD board on offer, so thought i'd get it as I can always take it back if I can mod this one.
Very interesting, the insides are identical to the one above, they just put a pair of tails into the same terminal on the main switch, then use slightly different bus bars. I may as well modify the one above copying how they've done it in their 17th board.

RF - Yes the armours will be earthed, just havent done that bit yet.

is it possible you could post a picture of the new unit.

I need to do the same as you.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back