RCBO trips RCD

Sponsored Links
Yes :cry:

Ive paid him all the money which was a substantial amount. As the job was complete I didnt think of testing or verifying all the bits and pieces on the CU.

I noticed it last night whilst clearing up....then again I havnt checked the RCBOs on the main consumer unit downstairs.....Hmmmm theres 3 installed on that one, one for the Garden Shed, Steam Shower and House Alarm.

Yes :cry:

Ive paid him all the money which was a substantial amount. As the job was complete I didnt think of testing or verifying all the bits and pieces on the CU.

Why would you as a customer ? Even one with a DIY interest in electrics, if you paid someone to do the work then it must be done to standard, which includes a full test and an immediate copy of the EIC which is designed for the customer to take when written.

By Friday you need to post pictures of the open CU's and post them so we can offer advice.

By Friday you need to draw up a snagging list and set aside time for you to be satisfied that the work is functional, legal, safe and has been notified via a scheme or direct.

As for paying him, why did you that :?: - more so when you mention the high job values. I hate non payers, but I don't expect to walk away the day the job (large works) finishes without some retention awaiting certs and customer use of the work.

Sponsored Links
He did give me some papers which he completed and some copies of the paper which he took. Cant remember the name of the paper.

I should have done the testing or verified it but TBH as the lights and sockets were working I didnt check as had so many other issues Ive been trying to sort out.

Building work or refurb has been going on for 2 years and now just want to complete it.

Cool will take the pics and update you guys on Friday

Oh dear.

1) He should have known right from the start that he couldn't install an RCBO in that CU. He is ignorant and incompetent, and you should be worried about that as ignorance and incompetence with electrical work can be very dangerous. I wonder what else he might have *****d up?

2) His testing was clearly inadequate - either more ignorance and incompetence, or sheer laziness. More reasons to be worried about what other ****-ups he's left behind.

Have you paid him?

Probably goes some way to explaining why he agreed to test someone elses work...

In any case, if space permits then you may be able to fit an extra neutral bar, but without seeing pictures it's hard to say for sure. Sounds like you purchased the wrong CU for the job, really, although I imagine you wont want to go changing it again.

Post pictures inside each consumer unit and scan in the paperwork he issued you, we can breif you on what to say to get things right or he can refund you a portion of cash to get someone competent in to complete remedial works.

One way to get around this is if your loft as a lighting circuit that is in constant use you can fit a smoke detector to that cicuit

There by getting rid of the RCBO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back