RCD TD & Single pole RCBO

In my case it happened with an insulated lampholder on a standard ceiling rose. It was a couple of years ago with my cousin staying in the house too at the time. I nearly lost all of the food in my freezer as a result but noticed in time!
OK. However, I'm a bit confused as to how you can know for sure that it was a lamp blowing that caused the RCD to operate (which would have required you, or someone, to be present when the bulb blew and the RCD operated) without you (or someone) having immediately reset the RCD and therefore avoided any risk to your freezer contents. Was the situation perhaps a little more complicated than you have indicated?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
In my case it happened with an insulated lampholder on a standard ceiling rose. It was a couple of years ago with my cousin staying in the house too at the time. I nearly lost all of the food in my freezer as a result but noticed in time!
OK. However, I'm a bit confused as to how you can know for sure that it was a lamp blowing that caused the RCD to operate (which would have required you, or someone, to be present when the bulb blew and the RCD operated) without you (or someone) having immediately reset the RCD and therefore avoided any risk to your freezer contents. Was the situation perhaps a little more complicated than you have indicated?

Kind Regards, John

I wasn't using any equipment at the time and the fuse for that lighting circuit remained intact after the lamp popped (which I had recently moved to the RCD protected side of the board to add a power shower). When I noticed the fridge/freezer was defrosting I checked at the dis board and noticed that the RCCB had operated.

To be honest it was sheer laziness as to why I hadn't reset it straight away.

I wasn't using any equipment at the time and the fuse for that lighting circuit remained intact after the lamp popped ... When I noticed the fridge/freezer was defrosting I checked at the dis board and noticed that the RCCB had operated.
Fair enough - so I suppose one could say that, strictly speaking, you don't know for certain that the RCD operated when the lamp died? (people do report unexplained 'spontaneous nuisance trips' - but you probably don't believe in coincidences). I take it that didn't happen at night - otherwise you would presumably have been in darkness until you reset the RCD!

Kind Regards, John

There might be a resistive Neutral to Earth ( ground ) fault taking a small percentage of the current in the neutral board away from the RCD sensor. With normal load currents the current bypassing the RCD sensor is no where near the 30 mA trip current. But if there is an abnormally high current through the plasma mode lamp then the percentage through the resistive Neutral to Earth ( ground ) could be more than the trip current.

Sponsored Links
There might be a resistive Neutral to Earth ( ground ) fault taking a small percentage of the current in the neutral board away from the RCD sensor. With normal load currents the current bypassing the RCD sensor is no where near the 30 mA trip current. But if there is an abnormally high current through the plasma mode lamp then the percentage through the resistive Neutral to Earth ( ground ) could be more than the trip current.
Yes, that is another possibility from the intellectual barrel, but at least one that could be partially verified, since the 'resistive N-E fault' would be picked up by an IR test. However, the probability of hypotheses which rely on two faults being present is likely to be very low. Furthermore, as I wrote last night, it now sounds as if we may not be totally certain that Risteard's RCD operated at the very moment the lamp/bulb died.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, that is another possibility from the intellectual barrel, but at least one that could be partially verified, since the 'resistive N-E fault' would be picked up by an IR test. However, the probability of hypotheses which rely on two faults being present is likely to be very low. Furthermore, as I wrote last night, it now sounds as if we may not be totally certain that Risteard's RCD operated at the very moment the lamp/bulb died.

Kind Regards, John

No, I am completely certain. I just didn't bother to check the RCD at the time assuming that it was just the BS 1361 fuse (of which I hadn't a spare at the time).

No, I am completely certain. I just didn't bother to check the RCD at the time assuming that it was just the BS 1361 fuse (of which I hadn't a spare at the time).
Fair enough - I suppose that's reasonably convincing. As I've said, I'm not doubting that it does happen occasionally - but we can but speculate and hypothesise about possible mechanisms.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back