Single pole rcbo on TT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, could anyone explain why in a TT system, if the consumer unit has Single Pole RCBO's that it's also necessary to fit a 100ma TD RCD as a main incomer. Sorry but I can't get my head around this one!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In the absence of any replies from anyone who knows what they are talking about, my take on it is there's little, if anything, holding neutral and earth at at the same potential on a TT system. As an RCBO is single pole, there is no means of disconnecting the neutral, which may be at a significantly different voltage to earth.

... there's little, if anything, holding neutral and earth at at the same potential on a TT system.

That is correct.

You don't have to use a 100mA RCD however, other options can be:
Double pole RCBOs for all circuits
Split board with an RCD for some circuits and separate double pole RCBOs for others
Boards with 2 or more RCDs supplying several MCBs (such as most of the ones sold as '17th edition' types)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back