Consumer Unit to Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had an extension built and would like to know whether I can run an additional consumer unit onto my exsisting CU. The existing is brand new and has been fitted by a professional electrician.

The reason for the additional CU is to keep the new extension on its own CU if possible ?? Plus I can save on having to run all the ring wires back to the existing...

Any advise and suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you can, its not a simple job though.. and it will be a big cable needed.

Preferably armoured too..

What load would you have in the extension? ovens? showers?

10mm or 16mm T&E off a 50A or 63A breaker should be fine provided you don't put too many big loads on the secondry CU

The existing is currently a 63A. Should I also put this into the second CU to match the first ?

Do I run 10 or 16mm off the existing breaker into the new unit ?

All that will be on the new CU is 7 Doubles set in bedrooms, 3 spot lights in each of the 4 bedrooms and 4 doubles in the garage - will not be putting any heavy load on in the garage.

Sponsored Links
I would install a 16mm Split Concentric. Put this on a 50amp breaker in the old CU. You have to be carefull with the loop impedance of C type breakers at this type of amperage, so make sure this install is tested by a proffesional. I would also recommend you get a prof to install the split con, and second board.

A C type breaker gives a little more discrimination to a B type when used as a submain, although a B type may be fine for your small domestic use.

id personally say never fit any C above a C20 on a domestic without good reason

also remember submains are only 5S disconnect requirement so (if your CU can take it) a 45A hrc fuse may be a better bet

If you want a separate CU in the extension, make it truly separate - split the tails with Henley block(s), go to a switchfuse, then to the CU (in T/E or SWA/S-C depending on the nature of the run).

Some CU's have a pair of tap-off terminals on the outgoing side of the 100 amp main switch, if suitable you could tap off the second CU from there, via a switch fuse etc. Check with the professional electrician.

plugwash said:
id personally say never fit any C above a C20 on a domestic without good reason

also remember submains are only 5S disconnect requirement so (if your CU can take it) a 45A hrc fuse may be a better bet

Very true on domestics, but i have regularly seen submains trip due to a fault on a circuit fed via the submain. Not good.

the problem with mcbs is thier trip patterns suck for 5s cuircuits

the only way to trip a mch in 5s is to hit the fast trip at which point they trip extremely fast

iirc if you have two mcbs in a row you should ideally aim to always double the fast trip point from a mcb to the one behind it but this isn't always practical because of earth fault loop currents

with fuses you have a nice smooth curve between current and trip time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back