new 32A socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a new house with the electrics completed in 2005. I have a main consumer unit in the house, and a consumer unit in the garage.

The garage CU is connected to the downstairs ring. Can a 30/32A socket be fitted from the garage consumer unit, or will a new ring to be run from the house CU down to the garage?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It will require it's own radial circuit from the main house CU.

The other option would be to upgrade the supply to the garage CU and supply the socket from there.

Sponsored Links
thanks, just what I thought, but wanted to know the answer before thinking about cable runs and getting a quote

cheers

If the wiring to the garage CU is upgraded, could two 32a sockets be run from the Garage CU or is that getting into a serious level of suppy. I'm upgrading my glass kiln and it would be nice to be able to run two kilns now and again!

If the wiring to the garage CU is upgraded, could two 32a sockets be run from the Garage CU or is that getting into a serious level of suppy. I'm upgrading my glass kiln and it would be nice to be able to run two kilns now and again!

If the garage submain is fed from a switchfuse which is in turn supplied via henley block direct from the meter, it's possible. Whether or not this would be wise if there are any other large loads in the house that may be used at the same time is another matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back