Consumer Unit Under Sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a reg regarding a consumer unit placed under a kitchen sink? I know its bad practice etc, but I have just purchased a house and the CU is under the sink.

Sponsored Links
It's probably the worst place in a house to have one and would fall under the workmanship/accessibility/external influences brackets of the regulations but seeing as it is existing what do you want to do about it bearing in mind it will run into several £'00s to relocate it.

the fuse box is old school and will need to be replaced anyway so if a new one is fitted will it have to be relocated under the regs due to its location? is that cast iron and must be moved etc, I agree its a stupid position but if it cant be moved then is it against the regs to put a new one in the same place. Thanks

Sponsored Links
ok can you give me the spacific reg just out of interest? or is it based on general health and safety. Im having the kitchen re fitted anway so It can be moved and will be moved. Ta

If the kitchen's being refittedthen give a thought to saving that money by leaving the CU in place and moving the sink. All the wiring centralises on the CU - the feed comes to it from the meter (or is your meter under the sink as well?) and all the circuits radiate from there. Depending on where the circuits run you may be no better off by moving it, ending up with a bunch of junction boxes for the wiring instead of the CU under the sink. Whereas if the sink can relocate a couple of feet either way, you get a CU in an empty cupboard, which isn't ideal but is better than having conflicting pipework around.

Seems unlikely that the original fusebox/CU would have been installed under the sink, so my guess is that during a past kitchen refit some numpty moved the sink to where it is now.

PJ

Very good point "pjcomp" think I will defanatly shove the sink along a bit if anything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back