Consumer unit wiring layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing a garage conversion and bought and installed an MK RCD consumer unit, 8 way.
Is there best practice for the layout of the different circuit connections on the CU.
Going from the left of the CU I connected it as follows:
first there is the main swithc then lights circuits (3) and one spare MCB
RCD unit, main house ring, kitchen ring, cooker spur, and one spare.

So the wires to the left of the RCD are non RCD connected whereas those to the right of the RCD are RCD connected.
Is this the best way or are there conventions ?

Also. should the incoming wires be clamped using cable clips to secure the wires prior to termination.
Some wires come up from the ground, 5 foot then loop though a hole in the chipboard backing before terminating in the CU, others come down from the ceiling and go throught the hole in the chipboard then are terminated.
None of them have clamping or cable clips on the chipboard, and whilst loose are unlikely to be stressed at the termination points.
The bends in the wires going through the chipboard backing support the wires I reckon.

And finally in the bathroom the only electrical point is a shaver socket, no electric shower nor electrical heater, so does the steel bath and copper pipes need earth bonding?

As this CU will be checked by a sparks before hooking up to the mains I'd appreciate any advice

Sponsored Links
Generally put largest mcb next to main switch or rcd, then work down in size of mcb as you work away from the switch - this i think you have done.

Cables should be supported to prevent strain on them or the connections. Clip the cables as the emerge from behind the chip.

Bonding is absolutely necessary, unless your bath and all piping within the bathroom is plastic.

If not, you need to link each pipe, bath rad etc to each other, including along the way, the cpc's (earths) of all the circuits supplying electrical equipment wihin the bathroom- in your case the light fitting and the shaver point.

For more on supplementary earth bonding, search this site using that term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back