consumer unit woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am curently ripping out my old kitchen and fitting a new one. In the course of the work I am looking at the consumer unit which was tucked away under the cupboards. I have managed to identify what curcuits each fuse way serve ie lighting, ring mains, cooker point etc. However there is a blue rated MCB which has a 2.5mm squared single cable into it and it does not seem to affect anything in the house. I turn it off and everything works. The house used to have a large whirlpool bath and I wondered if this dedicated huseway may have served the pump unit for it. Any ideas what a 15 amp fuseway would have protected? and can I safely disconnect it and use the fuse way for another circuit, ie uprated to feed an indiction hob?

Just to make things more interesting the whol consumer unit could do with moving 120mm to the right to allow a base unit to cover it. Is this a job for a DIYer, even one who fears no evil and has nerves of steel lol. If the meter tails are long enough will I get away with it?

Regards Mick

Sponsored Links
The 15 amp circuit could be a redundant immersion water heater due to the fitting of a gas combi boiler.
Changing the fuse box is not a diy job , not difficult but requires knowledge of the circuit loadings and capacities of cables in relation to the new mcb's that will be fitted. Testing and notification to the LBA is the other bugbear.

EDIT -Slightly misread your post, even if you dont change the board you may hit snags moving the board. IE the cables will almost certainly have to be extended . Can be a right pain if you are not used to it.

... a blue rated MCB ... a 15 amp fuseway
Sounds like you might have an old Wylex fuseboard with the fuses swapped out for plug-in MCBs?

Is there an RCD?

You'll need one if you add any sockets to the installation, or install any new cables buried in the walls.

And work like that in kitchens is notifiable.

nerves of steel
But brains of marshmallow if you move a CU with live tails attached to it.

Thanks for the information, I am now seeking a local sparky to move the CU for me as I see it is not a job for the uninitiated.

On the point you made Ban all sheds, does an electrician disconnect the tails in the meter cabinet before fitting them to the new CU? I only ask as the electric folk are coming to replace my meter next week and it would seem sensible to do the CU work while the meter is out.

Mick

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the information, I am now seeking a local sparky to move the CU for me as I see it is not a job for the uninitiated.

On the point you made Ban all sheds, does an electrician disconnect the tails in the meter cabinet before fitting them to the new CU? I only ask as the electric folk are coming to replace my meter next week and it would seem sensible to do the CU work while the meter is out.

Mick
When they come out ask them to fit an isolator if one is not already fitted. This will mean the spark won't have to call out the DNO to disconnect the supply while he fits the new CU. It will save both you and him time and money.

Ask your electrician if he actually wants an isolator fitting would be a better idea.

Ask your electrician if he actually wants an isolator fitting would be a better idea.

What a right load of trollop that advice is!!!!!!

First of all, what it got to do with the electrician - absolutely nothing.

Secondly, how else does the electrician change the CU - work live - what a joke! Pull the fuse - another joke!

How do you respond to the question implied by reg 13/14 of the EAW Act -
Can the normal policy of dead working be carried out?
So in your case you say No - Can you justify this?

I really thought you gave good advice but in this case you are talking through your arse!

It has everything to do with the electrician.

Get the DNO to pull the fuse if you like, but at least you won't be left with one of these pointless isolators.

Thanks to all who posted with such good advice. I have located a good electrician locally, an inspection and quote followed and he is booked to do the work next saturday. All will be well. Thanks again,

Mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back