Consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have at the moment a 8 way consumer unit,(no more fuses free) and I would like to take electricity to my shed which is about 30' away from the house etc.
So I would like to take this unit out and replace it with either a new consumer unit or a garage consumer unit(using the existing unit).
If I take the main fuse out (LIVE) how do I reseal it? or if I fit a garage consumer unit do I still have to take this fuse out to connect it to the live side?
Am I allowed to take this fuse out?
Regards
olly49

Sponsored Links
you are liable to criminal prosecution if you pull the supply fuse, try a search for power to shed power to garage, power to outbuilding

Don`t do it! Ring your electricity supplier and ask them to arrange fitting of an isolator switch after the meter. Then you can play with the CU`s to your heart`s content! :D

Does it cost for them to fit an isolator or is this part of the service? what is the rough going rate for the met if needed to fit an isolator?

Sponsored Links
It varies. Some do it for free, some charge, and, sadly for shavvy's advice, some won't do it at all.

and from what i gather some pass you around departments and fob you off for so long that you just decide to get on with it without thier help

Steady on now; you'll have breezer going off the deep-end again.

I had seen that one breezer and thought it was a bit tame for you. I was talking about the
BIG RED WARNING

1) You are liable to prosecution. True, but there is no recorded case of somebody being prosecuted just for pulling the fuse, only if they then follow that up with theft of electricity.

2) You are at risk of electrocution, and there are recorded cases of that. Mind you, 10 people will be killed on the roads today, and some of them will die because of their own stupidity.

3) You are advised not to pull the fuse. If you decide to ignore that advice please search here for information on how to minimise the risks. It is not difficult to reduce them to a very small level.

If you`re going to pull the fuse have a good check to see that it`s in good order. The (bakerlite?) casing on old fuses can go very brittle and you would`nt want it to break in your hand :cry: I`ve seen one that exploded when all the storage heaters kicked in one morning causing a fire. If it looks dodgy call the DNO on their emergency number and they WILL send someone round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back